Since I started cooking with essential oils, I've gotten rave reviews on dishes I have fixed many times before. A good friend, to whom I had served spaghetti many times, exclaimed, "What is in this? It's the best spaghetti sauce I've ever had!" The oils are full of flavor (a little goes a long way) and healthy benefits. Rosemary oil improves circulation, Oregano oil is a powerful immune booster, Basil is excellent for respiratory issues, and Fennel supports healthy digestion. If you are using essential oils internally, please be sure to use only CPTG (Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade) oils for your safety. Serve this dish with salad and a glass of red wine and you've got a meal that will make everyone's hearts...and taste buds...very happy!
1 lb. lean ground turkey
2 Tblsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
3-4 drops dōTERRA Basil essential oil
2-3 drops dōTERRA Oregano essential oil
1-2 drops dōTERRA Fennel essential oil
1-2 drops dōTERRA Rosemary essential oil
2 tsp. dried oregano leaves (or 1 Tblsp. fresh)
2 tsp. dried basil leaves (or 1 Tblsp. fresh)
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion salt
1 jar Prego Heart Smart Traditional pasta sauce (or your favorite marinara)
1-14 oz. can organic diced tomatoes, do not drain (I use a no salt variety)
3 c. chopped vegetables of your choice (zucchini, bell peppers, yellow squash, eggplant, mushrooms and carrots are great choices)
1/2 c. sliced black olives
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1-12 oz. package Gluten Free pasta (*If you aren't concerned about gluten, whole wheat pasta and vegetable pastas are also great choices.)
1. Heat one tablespoon of the olive oil in a large stock pot over medium-high and brown the turkey. (Sub cubed medium firm tofu for the turkey to make this dish vegan).
2. Fill a pasta pot or another large stock pot about 2/3 with cold water and bring to a boil. (This volume of water will take awhile to boil, so do this early).
3. Add onion, garlic, dried or fresh herbs, garlic powder, and onion salt as the turkey is browning.
4. Once turkey is browned and onions are translucent and soft, add jar of sauce, can of tomatoes, chopped vegetables, and olives. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce thickens a bit, and vegetables soften. Stir often.
5. Add pasta to water and return to a boil. Cook according to package directions or about 5-7 minutes for al dente pasta. Be careful not to overcook.
6. Add essential oils and salt and pepper to taste.
7. Add 1 Tblsp. olive oil to cooked pasta and stir. Drain.
8. Serve pasta with a generous portion of sauce spooned over the top.
Serves 4-6. Makes excellent leftovers!
**There are many brands, both less expensive and more costly than dōTERRA, of essential oils on the market. In my experience using many of these brands, the dōTERRA oils are of the highest quality. Each oil is sourced organically from the parent plant’s country and region of origin (and/or region best suited for cultivation) and distilled with the highest standards of purity and safety. There is currently no regulatory purity rating system in place for essential oils. In order to ensure the highest product standards, dōTERRA registered its own trademark, Certified Therapeutic Grade™. This is currently the highest rating for purity and safety of essential oils in the world, and only dōTERRA offers oils of this grade. The dōTERRA oils are the only essential oils on the market suitable for internal use.