I know now that often these "extracts" and even many popular brands of essential oils sold online and health food stores are not pure. The FDA only requires an essential oil to be 10% pure in order for a manufacturer to print 100% pure on the label. Doesn't make sense to me either. This is why I choose to use only Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade (CPTG®) essential oils. Many oils are "cut" with additional ingredients to increase profit margin and commercially-made health, beauty, and household products are made with some truly terrifying ingredients. But, that is a "What's in That?" blog post for another day.
As the very first strands of daylight crept in my bedroom window this morning, I lay in bed awake after my adorable, 18-month-old alarm clock slept soundly once again. I thought about all of the things for which I used essential oils yesterday. A friend and colleague recently posted a challenge on Facebook to list all of our personal uses for essential oils; an extremely long list. But, how much do I use them in a given day? The answer is...a heck of a lot. Though there are hundreds more ways that pure botanical extracts can be utilized as safe, effective, chemical-free alternatives to dangerous household chemicals, personal care products, and pharmaceuticals with a battery of side effects, I decided to share my list from yesterday. I did all this with CPTG® essential oils in one day.
- On Guard® Blend for immune support (Self, Baby)
- Melaleuca (Tea Tree) for itchy skin (Self)
- DigestZen® Blend for GERD, reflux (Baby, Self)
- Homemade Lavender Baby Powder (Baby)
- Peppermint for headache (Husband)
- Deep Blue® Blend for muscle pain (Self)
- Lemon, Lavender, Peppermint for allergies (Self)
- On Guard® Toothpaste (Self, Husband)
- Homemade deodorant with Lavender, Lemongrass (Self)
- Homemade citrus face scrub with Wild Orange, Grapefruit, Lemon, Wild Orange (Self)
- Unscented lotion with a drop of Citrus Bliss® Blend
- Slim & Sassy® Metabolic Blend for energy and weight loss (Self)
- Serenity® Blend for Baby Meltdown (Baby)
- Balance® Blend for Baby Meltdown (Self)
- Homemade Kale Chips with Lemon infused Olive Oil (Self)
- Water with Grapefruit oil for detoxification and taste (Self)
- Homemade On Guard® Sanitizing Spray for hands, shopping cart
- On Guard® Blend for clear, algae-free kiddie pool water
- Homemade carpet cleaner solution with Purify®
- Homemade multi-purpose cleaner with On Guard®, Lemon, Purify®
- Homemade laundry detergent with Elevation® Blend
- Homemade fabric softener with Purify® Blend
- Peppermint to cool body temp - used multiple times (Self, Baby)
- Homemade Lavender & Roman Chamomile Diaper Balm, Homemade Serenity® Baby Wash/Shampoo, and Homemade Lemon Hand & Foot Scrub as a Baby/Mommy gift for a friend
- Homemade Lavender & Roman Chamomile Diaper Balm, Homemade Serenity® Baby Wash/Shampoo (Baby)
- Frankincense, On Guard® Blend, Lavender for wound care (Self)
- Lemon in hot water and vinegar to soak baby bottles
- On Guard®, Melaleuca, DigestZen®, Serenity® evening application (Self, Baby)
Admittedly, this was a particularly busy day. Nonetheless, it is a great example of all of the myriad things you can do with pure essential oils. Truly natural, free of chemicals, harmful pharmaceuticals, and the only side effects...you save cash and smell pretty. Oh, and I actually enjoy cleaning my house now that I don't have to practically don a HAZMAT suit to do it or worry about toxic residues that would inevitably find their way into my toddler's mouth (along with everything else in the house). More clean, less stress. It's a no-brainer.
(Accidental) Wellness Advocate #522538 "I just can't help sharing these oils!"